Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Earwigs!

In this episode, a little social commentary is delivered utilizing Squeak's early inclinations towards rebellion. She is quite a bit younger in this strip than in others. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it is because the story of the Approaching Zero family is not told in a linear fashion. It also could be that the  drawing abilities of the cartoonist are to blame. Alternatively, it could be that Arbian time itself is not linear. There is no way to know for sure. 

If you look carefully you will notice that there is some extraterrestrial (extra-arbarian?) activity taking place as the drama is unfolding. These creatures make frequent appearances in Approaching Zero and their intentions remain ambiguous. Our crew is often too distracted to notice them, with the possible exception of Flo; she's incredibly observant for a plant.  If I was forced to do some deep analysis on the appearance of these space creatures, I'd say it is a comment on my ADD. Being hyperfocused and/or easily distracted often results in missing the obvious. 

In addition, I long for rotary phones, I believe balloons should be illegal, and earwigs are my favorite underappreciated member of the Class Insecta. 




No comments:

Post a Comment