Blog Archive

Sunday, April 23, 2023

secular prayer

This strip originated because I attended a family dinner that began with a prayer. As I bowed my head in compliance, to avoid being rude, I wondered how the people at the table would react if I had them over for dinner and kicked it off with a prayer to satan: if they would similarly put aside their belief system so as not to be "rude". However, since I am an agnostic, not  a satanist, I thought that this might, in fact, be disingenuous. If I were to utter a sincere "prayer" before a meal it would thank the actual forces that made the meal possible, not some abstract, make-believe being. These are the thoughts I was having as I bowed my head. I said "amen" just in time so nobody was suspicious. 

Since a cartoon is an excellent medium for carrying out activities one is too cowardly to initiate in real life, Squeak is uttering this secular prayer. However, she leaves some important people out, including the clearly offended cook. In the meantime, Flo is offended by the utter disregard for her feelings regarding the ingestion of plant parts.  

The affiliations of the Approaching Zero crew is as follows: 

Kurtz: Skeptical humanist 

Divi: Tortured occult-curious agnostic  

Squeak: Radical atheist 

Finn: Cynical smarty-pants 

Flo: Spiritually fluid 



No comments:

Post a Comment